Sat, December 18th • Philadelphia, USA
GORUCK is a company founded in 2008 by Jason McCarthy, a former Green Beret, that specializes in making rucksacks and other outdoor gear. The company also organizes team-building events, known as "GORUCK challenges", that are similar to obstacle racing and military exercises, as well as various courses that teach skills such as tactical shooting, hand-to-hand combat, urban survival, and trauma-centric first aid.
The GoRuck "Basic Challenge" and "Tough Challenge" events are coming to Philly in mid December, both of which are intended to honor the 80th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attacks on Dec. 7th, 1941.
The "Basic Challenge" (formerly known as the "Light" challenge) starts at 2:00pm on Saturday, Dec. 18th and lasts 5-6 Hours, covering 7-10 miles with a weighted rucksack. The weight you have to carry in your rucksack depends on your bodyweight - if you weigh over 150 lbs, you'll carry 30 lbs., and if you weigh less than 150 lbs, you'll carry 20 lbs. Your team will typically have to carry some sort of additional weight (often a log) for part of the ruck. There's also some bootcamp-style PT - i.e. "Physical Training" exercises like pushups, lunges, flutter kicks, squat thrusts and bear crawls as well. Considering you'll be doing some of those exercises with your pack on, using a ruckplate that won't move around much is strongly advised.
The "Tough Challenge" is the longer event, covering 15-20 miles with a weighted rucksack over 10-12 hours. The event starts at 9:00pm on the night of Friday, Dec. 17th and goes until early Saturday morning. The weight requirement for your rucksack is the same as the Basic Challenge (i.e. 20 lbs if you're under 150, 30 lbs if you're over 150). This event also incorporates some bootcamp-style PT exercises like they do in the Basic challenge but more reps, and your team will typically have to carry some sort of additional weight (often a log) for part of the ruck.
With both Basic and Tough events, YOU WILL TYPICALLY HAVE TO GET WET AT SOME POINT, and in the winter that can be quite a shock to the system. (You may want to prepare for this part by taking cold showers.) You'll definitely want to bring clothing and gear that repels water and dries out quickly. Check out these 2 blog entries for tips:
My assumption is that most of our group members will just be interested in the "Basic Challenge" - that's what I plan to do, but if you're in great shape and want to really test yourself, you can do the "Tough Challenge" which is more physically demanding.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A rucksack aka backpack (GoRuck's "Rucker" recommended)
- Ruck Plate = per weight requirement (20 or 30 lb)
- Hydration Bladder: GoRuck's "Source 3L" recommended
- Nalgene bottle (1L) or equivalent (electrolytes recommended)
- Oral Rehydration Salts (or comparable)
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your ruck
- First Aid Kit (small)
- Face Mask (Optional)
- Gloves (1 pair) Not medical gloves, working gloves
- Hand Sanitizer/Wipes - 1 bottle Purell, 1 package of baby wipes (or equivalent)
- Windbreaker (only if the temperature is expected below 60 ℉)
- Photo ID and $20 cash (just in case)
- As a class, you need one (1) 25 lb. class weight and one American Flag. Use your event’s Facebook page to meet your class, organize training, and coordinate team weight details.
- Flip-flops and fresh clothing for after the event (not required)
For more details on the "Basic Challenge" and to purchase tickets ($67), go to:
For more details on the "Tough Challenge" and to purchase tickets ($135), go to: https://registration.goruck.com/event/tough-challenge-philadelphia-pa-80th-anniversary-12172021-2100-16941